- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or 2 tablespoons lard, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter and lard using a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons water and continue mixing. Add remaining 3 tablespoons water, one at time, mixing well after each addition, until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a clean work surface. Divide in half, and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Shape into flattened discs. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days before using.
Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days before using.