Tomato Sauce Recipe
Use this tomato sauce to make Eggplant Parmigiana and Rigatoni alla Norma from chefs Fabrizio and Nicola Carro.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
Yield Makes about 5 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally and taking care not to let sauce stick to the bottom of the pot, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from heat and, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth, adding basil leaves as you blend. Alternatively, working in batches, you can transfer tomato sauce to the jar of a conventional blender, adding basil leaves as you blend.
- Season with salt and pepper and reheat to use immediately or let cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to use, 3 to 5 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.