Martha Stewart Living, March 2003
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil and 1/2 cup vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons warm water
- Place garlic and salt in a large mortar and pestle, and pound to a paste. (Alternatively place garlic and salt on work surface, and mash with the side of a knife to form a paste and transfer to a stainless steel bowl.) Add egg yolk, and whisk to combine. Drizzle in half the oil, one drop at a time, whisking constantly. As the mixture begins to thicken, add 1 teaspoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon water.
- Pour in the remaining oil in a slow steady stream, scraping down sides of mortar as necessary. As the mixture thickens, add a little more lemon juice, vinegar, and water, and continue whisking until the remaining oil is completely incorporated and the sauce is thickened. Season with lemon juice and salt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.