Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, young children, or anyone else whose health is compromised.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1993/1994
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Pinch of cream tartar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a double boiler, melt together chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat, and transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in egg yolks, stirring well. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Whisk a third of the whites into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remainder of the egg whites.
- Whip cream until it holds soft peaks, and fold into chocolate mixture. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.