Flapjacks turn fancy with this yeast batter, which gives them a brioche-like texture.
Martha Stewart Living, February 1998
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large egg yolks
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until lukewarm. Transfer milk to a large bowl, and stir in sugar and yeast. Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, salt, butter, and egg yolks until batter is smooth. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Transfer bowl to a warm place; let dough rise until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Heat griddle to 375 degrees.and oven to 175 degrees. Using a 2-ounce (1/4-cup) ladle, pour batter onto griddle, creating several pools, 2 inches apart. Cook pancakes until bubbles form on the top and the edges are slightly dry, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip pancakes; cook until golden on bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof plate; keep in warm oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.