White Bean and Escarole Soup
Martha Stewart Living, January 2001
- 1 pound navy beans
- 12 cups Homemade Beef Stock Homemade Beef Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261559/homemade-beef-stock)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 pound pancetta (Italian raw bacon), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 large head of large escarole
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak beans overnight, or boil for 3 minutes and then soak for 1 hour. Drain beans, discarding the soaking liquid. Simmer beans in stock with onion, garlic, and bay leaves until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Blanch pancetta in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, and add to the soup halfway through cooking.
- Wash escarole, and pat dry. Roughly chop escarole; set aside.
- When beans are thoroughly cooked, add chopped escarole. Simmer for 2 minutes, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.