Mocha Almond Cookies
Martha Stewart Living, Winter 1990
Yield Makes about 2 dozen
- 12 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- Extra granulated sugar, for rolling
- Sifted confectioners' sugar, for rolling
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat; stir in the coffee liqueur, and keep the mixture warm. Beat eggs and sugar together at high speed until thick and fluffy. Stir flavored chocolate into the egg mixture. Sift together the flour and baking powder; stir into the chocolate-and-egg mixture and beat well. Stir in ground almonds.
- Chill dough until firm.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and chill again for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll balls first in granulated sugar and then in confectioners' sugar, coating well.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.