This recipe for barbecue sauce is from Ollie Gates, owner of Gates Bar-B-Q in Kansas City.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 quarts ketchup
- 2 cups apple vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, salt, celery seed, cumin, red pepper, and garlic and chili powders. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dry ingredients, and mix well. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.