- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pink sea salt, olives, chopped fresh herbs, cumin, curry, anchovies, and salmon caviar, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Place eggs in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring gently, as water begins to boil, 2 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer eggs to ice-water bath to cool.
- Peel eggs and halve lengthwise and/or crosswise. Remove yolks and transfer to the bowl of a food processor along with mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- Transfer yolk mixture to a pastry bag fitted with an open-star tip (such as Ateco no. 825). Pipe mixture into egg white halves, filling to about 1/2 inch over surface.
Eggs can be refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 3 hours.