Patrick O'Connell's Vegetable Stock
This recipe for vegetable stock is courtesy of Patrick O'Connell from the Inn at Little Washington and is used in his Minted English Pea Soup, which can be made with Lobster and Orange.
The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2008
- 2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 6 mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot with enough water to cover; season with salt. Bring to a simmer over high heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Immediately remove pot from heat and let steep for 45 minutes.
- Strain stock, discarding solids, and season with salt. Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to use.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.