Cinnamon Ice Cream
The Martha Stewart Show, September Fall 2007
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat milk, cream, and vanilla seeds and pod in a medium saucepan over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around edges. Remove from heat, cover, and let cream mixture steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Uncover cream mixture, and reheat until hot but not boiling. Whisk yolks, sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add hot cream mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Return mixture to saucepan, and stir constantly over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes. (Do not let the mixture come to a simmer.)
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard vanilla pod. Set the bowl in the ice-water bath. Let cool, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 20 minutes.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a large container, and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
Ice cream can be frozen for up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.