Spaghetti and Meatballs
Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, pulsed in blender until almost smooth
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 slice (4 inches square and 1/2 inch thick) white bread, crust removed
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup freshly grated aged pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil, the red-pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat until garlic is sizzling, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 minutes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over low heat until warm; remove from heat. Add bread; turn bread until milk is absorbed.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess milk. Finely chop bread; place in a large bowl. Discard milk. Add meats, cheeses, egg, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the pepper, marjoram, remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon garlic, and the shallot. Using your hands, mix until just combined. Moisten hands, and roll meat mixture into balls of different sizes: nine 1-inch balls, six 1 1/2-inch balls, and two 2-inch balls. Place on a baking sheet.
- Add 2-inch meatballs to simmering sauce. After 5 minutes, add 1 1/2-inch balls. After 5 minutes, add 1-inch balls. Stir.
- Meanwhile, bring a large stockpot of water to a boil; add salt. Add pasta; cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain; return pasta to pot. Add 1/4 cup sauce; toss. Serve pasta in bowls with meatballs and extra sauce, and cheese on the side.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.