Radicchio Salad with Walnut Dressing
Walnut oil gives this salad a distinctly nutty flavor; it can be found in most grocery stores. Radicchio di Treviso has narrow, tapered leaves; radicchio di Verona leaves form loose, round heads. The varieties may not be clearly labeled, but the shapes make them easy to distinguish.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 5 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads radicchio, preferably Treviso (about 1 1/4 pounds total), leaves separated
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- Whisk together vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. (If using olive oil, you may want to warm the oil and walnuts first over low heat in a small pan for a few minutes. Then let cool to room temperature to infuse the oil with flavor.)
- Add radicchio to dressing, and toss. Divide among 4 serving plates, and sprinkle with walnuts.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.