In French, "hache" simply means "minced."
Photography: David Sawyer
Martha Stewart Living, December 2000
- 1 head broccoli, (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut stalks off the broccoli, and peel coarse skin using vegetable peeler. Chop stalks into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside in a small bowl. Chop florets into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside in another small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add chopped broccoli stalks and 1/4 cup water. Cook until stalks soften, about 3 minutes, adding more water if pan gets dry. Add chopped florets, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and bright green, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.