Brown Sugar Buttercream
Use this brown sugar buttercream on our Triple-Layer Apple Cake. If the mixture seems to have separated after all the butter is incorporated, beat on medium-high until smooth. Reduce speed to low; beat 3 minutes more.
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Makes about 4 cups
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, whisk together egg whites, sugar, and salt. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch.
- Transfer to the clean bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until fluffy and cooled, about 15 minutes.
- Raise speed to high; beat until stiff peaks form. Reduce speed to medium-low; add butter, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, until fully incorporated.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.