Our Salade Nicoise includes small red potatoes, celery, and radishes in addition to traditional ingredients, such as tuna, olives, hard-boiled eggs, anchovies, green beans, and tomatoes.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2001
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small head Romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into1/4-inch slices
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 six-ounce can water-packed solid white tuna, drained
- 3 ounces Nicoise or other olives (about 24)
- 8 anchovies (optional)
- Whisk together shallot, capers, Dijon, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil; set dressing aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil.
Add green beans, and cook until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain; plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain again, cut into 11/2-inch pieces, and set aside. Refill saucepan with cold water, and add potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes; let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Place in a bowl; toss with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette; set aside. Place eggs in a small saucepan of cold water. Bring to a boil; cover. Remove from heat. Set aside for 11 minutes. Rinse in cold water; peel; cut into wedges; set aside.
- To assemble, arrange lettuce on individual plates. Arrange green beans, potato salad, sliced eggs, celery, tomatoes, radishes, tuna, olives, and anchovies, if using. Drizzle with remaining dressing, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.