These single-serve sweets take only 10 minutes to prep, and you probably already have everything you need in the house.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2010
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling occasionally, until deep amber, about 7 minutes. Carefully whisk in milk and cream.
- Whisk together yolks, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly
pour caramel-milk mixture into yolk mixture, whisking
constantly. Skim any bubbles from the top. Divide evenly
among four 6-ounce ramekins.
- Set ramekins in a 9-inch square baking dish. Pour
boiling water into dish to come a third of the way up sides
of ramekins. Bake until custards are just set but jiggle
slightly, 27 to 30 minutes. Remove from water using tongs.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Serving idea: Top custards with a dollop of whipped cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.