- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds), excess fat trimmed
- 16 corn tortillas (6-inch), lightly toasted
- <u>Avocado-Red Onion Relish</u>
- <u>Corn-and-Tomato Salsa</u>
- <u>Cilantro-Lime Crema</u>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, stir together chiles, ketchup, 1 cup water, garlic, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut beef into 4 equal pieces. Add to pot, and turn to coat. Cover, and bring to a boil; transfer pot to oven. Bake, covered, until beef is fork-tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer beef to a bowl. With a large spoon, skim off and discard fat from cooking liquid. Shred beef with two forks; moisten with cooking liquid as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve beef with tortillas and desired toppings.
To soften the tortillas and give them a quick char, toast them directly over a low gas flame using tongs (or use a dry skillet on medium heat).