These browned, sweet onions make a wonderful topping for pizza, burgers, sandwiches, and grilled meats.
Martha Stewart Living, June 1995
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper; raise heat slightly, and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in thyme, if using, and serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.