- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Still beating, very gradually (1 tablespoon at a time) add sugar to egg whites. Continue to beat until sugar has dissolved and stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently fold in chopped dried cherries and chopped pecans.
- Drop meringue mixture by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake, switching baking sheets halfway through, until meringues are dry, about 2 hours. Cool completely on baking sheets.
Meringues can be stored in an airtight container, up to 5 days.