- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound penne or other short tubular pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 anchovy fillets, mashed (optional)
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tuna packed in oil, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onion is very tender and starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add half-and-half and if using, anchovies; raise heat to high, and boil 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture over pasta. Add tuna, parsley, capers, and reserved pasta water; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Anchovy paste, a mixture of anchovies, vinegar, spices, and water, is a mess-free substitute for mashed fillets; use 1 teaspoon of paste for each fillet.