Pinto Beans with Bacon and Scallions
Bacon gives this bean side dish the flavor of baked beans without the long cooking time.
Everyday Food, June 2010
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 slices bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced crosswise, separating white and green parts
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans
- 1 cup water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat oil over medium-high. Add bacon, and cook, stirring often, until golden brown and almost crisp, about 3 minutes. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add pinto beans and water, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve topped with scallion greens.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.