Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk yolks until smooth. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add milk in a slow, steady stream. Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to bubble and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of milk mixture into yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thick, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Pass vanilla cream through a fine sieve into a bowl. Press plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.