Steak Sandwich with Peppers
Everyday Food, November 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 green bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced lengthwise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Reserved Chili-Rubbed Skirt Steak (http://www.marthastewart.com/283808/chili-rubbed-skirt-steak), very thinly sliced
- 4 crusty Italian hero rolls (about 3 ounces each), split in half horizontally, insides torn out to form a hollow
- 6 ounces thinly sliced (about 10 slices) pepper Jack cheese
- Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and peppers; cook, stirring often, until softened and beginning to char, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and steak.
- Place bottom halves of rolls on a large rimmed baking sheet; dividing evenly, top each with meat mixture, then cheese slices. Broil until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven; transfer to a cutting board.
If you can’t get thinly sliced pepper Jack cheese at the deli counter, buy it coarsely grated from
the dairy aisle instead.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.