Bread-and-Butter Pudding with Strawberries
Allowing bread to soak in custard batter for a full hour is the secret to a good bread-and-butter pudding.
Photography: Victoria Pearson
Dinner at Home, 2009
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- Whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, 3 tablespoons sugar, and rum. Set aside.
- Spread top of each slice of bread with generous amount of butter. Cut slices in half diagonally. In a 9-inch-round baking dish or cake pan, fan overlapping slices in one layer. It is also fine for bread to overlap randomly. Pour egg mixture over bread, and let stand 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle pudding with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until puffed and golden brown, and pudding has set, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand while pudding bakes. Serve strawberries with baked pudding.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.