Brown Rice with Tofu, Dried Mushrooms, and Baby Spinach
Brown rice becomes a protein-filled vegetarian dish when steamed with tofu and spinach.
Photography: Ellie Miller
Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 ounce sliced dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dried red chile, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 ounces baby spinach (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions (about 6), white and pale-green parts only
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Stir together rice, 3 cups water, the mushrooms, tofu, ginger, garlic, chile, and salt in the bowl of a rice cooker. Cover with lid, and cook until machine switches to the warm setting (about 45 minutes). Let rice stand 15 minutes to finish steaming.
- Stir in spinach. Cover, and let steam 1 minute with machine still on warm. Stir in scallions, cilantro, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.