Martha Stewart Living, May 1996
- 5 cups vegetable shortening
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh okra, stems trimmed
- Melt shortening in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat until a frying thermometer registers 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl. Place flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in another bowl; whisk to combine.
- Place 8 pieces of okra in egg mixture to coat, then dredge in flour mixture. Fry until golden brown, turning as necessary, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat coating and frying okra; serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.