Everyday Food, March 2004
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.place rack in center. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan, and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Coat paper with butter; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in sugar, espresso powder, vanilla, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture, and stir until just combined, but do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly wet, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely. Run a sharp paring knife around edges, then invert. Peel off parchment paper, and cut into 16 squares.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.