Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
Yield Makes one 12-by-16-inch sheet cake or one 9-inch round cake
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup sifted cake flour, plus more for pan
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting, if rolling cake
- Coat a 12-by-16-inch rimmed baking sheet or a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment; coat with cooking spray. Dust with flour, tapping out excess. Stir together flour and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. Preheat oven to 450 degrees for sheet cake or 400 degrees for round cake, with rack in lower third.
- Put eggs, egg yolks, and granulated sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a pan of simmering water; whisk until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch. Return bowl to mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Raise speed to high. Beat until mixture is pale and thick, about 4 minutes more.
- Remove bowl from mixer. Sift flour mixture over the top; using a large rubber spatula, carefully fold into egg mixture, cutting through middle and lifting gently over sides. When almost incorporated, pour melted butter down side of bowl; gently fold to incorporate completely.
- Spread batter evenly in sheet or pan with a large offset spatula. Bake until golden brown and springy to the touch, about 6 minutes for 12-by-16-inch cake and 15 minutes for 9-inch round cake.
- For the 12-by-16-inch cake: Run a small knife around sides of sheet; invert onto a wire rack. Remove parchment. For the roll, transfer cake to a dish towel dusted with confectioners' sugar, and roll up, starting at a short end; for the torte, reinvert cake onto the rack. Let cool completely. For the 9-inch round cake: Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; run a small knife around sides of pan. Invert onto rack; remove parchment, and reinvert onto rack. Let cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.