Martha Stewart Living, October 1998
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 heads Belgian endive
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggplants
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill, arranging the coals for indirect cooking. Lightly spray the grill rack with cooking spray. The coals should be moderately hot to hot.
- Remove the outer leaves on the head of cabbage. Cut into quarters, leaving core intact. Trim ends, and place on cooler part of grill. Cook, turning often, until cabbage is fork-tender and golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Trim endive, and cut in half lengthwise, leaving core intact. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Rub with garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill, and cook, turning often, until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place eggplants on grill over indirect heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning often, until eggplant is tender and soft, about 25 minutes.
- Combine all grilled vegetables in a large serving bowl, and serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.