Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
This basic recipe is perfect as is, but feel free to embellish it with other ingredients, such as goat cheese, grated cheddar cheese, roasted garlic, or sliced green onions. The recipe is from Emeril's new cookbook, "Emeril 20-40-60."These mashed potatoes are delicious with Emeril's Cider-Brined Turkey and Creamed Mustard Greens.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 8
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with the tines of a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add butter to potatoes and, using a handheld masher, mash butter into potatoes. Gradually add buttermilk, mashing until desired texture is achieved. Season with salt and white pepper; serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.