Pear Ice Cream
Martha Stewart Living, October/November 1993
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 Bartlett or Anjou pears, peeled and cored
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy, (optional)
- Combine milk, cream, and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until small bubbles appear around the edge. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook pears for 45 minutes, or until they make a thick sauce. Let cool a bit, then puree in a food processor or blender.
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl. Bring milk mixture back to a simmer, and whisk about 1 cup hot milk into egg mixture. Return to pan, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thick enough to coat the spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Stir puree into ice-cream base. Chill, then stir in brandy, if desired. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Store in an airtight plastic container up to 2 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.