Shaker Lemon Pie
Martha Stewart Living, December 2003
- Yield Makes one 11-inch pie
- 4 large lemons
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- Pate Brisee to Make One Double-Crust 10-Inch Pie or 12 Hand Pies (http://www.marthastewart.com/259085/pate-brisee-for-shaker-lemon-pie)
- 9 eggs, well beaten
- 2 egg whites, beaten with a fork
- Wash and cut 2 of the lemons into paper-thin slices. It is very important to slice the lemons as thinly as possible; use a very sharp knife or an electric meat slicer, if on is available. Remove peel and pith of remaining lemons; slice the flesh very, very thinly, and put it with the other slices in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, and toss well to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let the mixture rest overnight, stirring occasionally.
- The next day, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Press one circle of pastry into an 11-inch pie plate and chill.
- Add beaten eggs to the lemon mixture, and mix well. Turn mixture into prepared pie shell, neatly arranging some of the lemon slices on top. Cut long, even slashes 1 inch apart in the other pastry round, and place on top of filling. Crimp edges of the pie to seal. Brush top and edges with egg-white glaze. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and shiny. Let cool on a rack before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.