Sweet Pear and Apple Salad with Endive
This salad pairs sweet fruit with mildly bitter endive leaves. A dressing made with creme fraiche and blue cheese gives the salad a tangy, pungent finish. From "Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life" (Hyperion; 2008), by Jamie Oliver.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
- 4 heads endive, a mixture of red and white, washed and dried
- 2 apples, cored and julienned
- 2 pears, cored and each cut into eight wedges
- Handful soft herbs, such as chervil, tarragon, or parsley, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 ounces strong blue cheese
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Place endive in a large bowl. Add apples, pears, and herbs; set salad aside.
- In the jar of a blender, combine blue cheese, creme fraiche, olive oil, vinegar, and 6 tablespoons water; blend until smooth, about 16 seconds.
- Pour about three-quarters of the blue cheese mixture over salad; toss to coat. Divide salad evenly between 4 plates and drizzle a little more dressing and olive oil over the salads; sprinkle with herbs and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.