Grilled Chicken with Citrus Salsa
This recipe for grilled chicken with citrus salsa is the perfect warm-weather dinner.
Martha Stewart Living, June/July 1992
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, 1 thinly sliced, 1 diced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 dashes tequila (optional)
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small pink grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 10 yellow and/or red cherry tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Grated zest of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh, cilantro
- 4 tomatillos, diced (optional)
- 4 handfuls of mesclun or other mixed greens
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup of each of the lime juice, olive oil, and jalapeno slices. Rub chicken with salt and pepper, add to marinade. Add a dash of tequila. Marinate for at least half an hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine citrus fruit, scallions, tomatoes, remaining lime juice and olive oil, zests, salt and pepper, diced jalapeno, cilantro, tomatillos, and remaining tequila. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Cook on a hot grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from grill and let stand 5 minutes.
- Divide greens among four plates. Slice chicken and arrange on top of greens. Spoon salsa over each salsa and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.