- 3 cups dried split peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 7 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick (3 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, combine split peas, potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, thyme, and 4 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas have broken down and liquid has thickened, about 45 minutes. Add extra water as necessary and skim foam from the surface as needed. The consistency should be smooth and not too thick.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
Freeze the soup in single-serving microwave-safe containers. When you’re ready to use, defrost at room temperature, then reheat in microwave.