This filling is used to make the Inside-Out German Chocolate Cake.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2002
- Yield Makes about 2 cups, enough for one 9-inch Torte
- 1 fourteen-ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Place milk, butter, and vanilla in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and combined.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl, and, whisking constantly, add some of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks until combined. Whisk the mixture back into the saucepan, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in coconut and pecans. Cool completely, and refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.