Vanilla Bowl Cake
Use this recipe to make the Minty Chip Sea Turtle ice-cream cake.
Photography: Kirsten Strecker
Martha Stewart Kids, Summer
Yield Makes one 10-inch cake
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 4 1/2 cup (7 1/2 inches in diameter) oven-proof bowl. Dust with flour, and tap out excess. Sift cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add egg and yolk, the milk, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until almost combined. Mix in melted butter. Raise speed to medium; mix 30 seconds.
- Transfer batter to prepared bowl. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in bowl on a wire rack 30 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen; invert and unmold. Let cool completely on rack.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.