Herb and Roasted-Garlic Dip
This dip, sure to fight off the vampires, can be served with an assortment of crudites or crackers. For a spookier presentation, hollow out a head of dark-green Savoy cabbage, and fill with the dip. (Slice a portion off the bottom of the cabbage so it won't wobble on the table.)
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (about 2 scallions)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place garlic in a baking dish, and drizzle with oil. Cover dish with foil, and roast until garlic is golden and soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool. Slice 1/2 inch off top, and squeeze out garlic cloves.
- Place anchovies and milk in a small bowl, and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse anchovies.
- Process anchovies, roasted garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, chives, scallions, tarragon, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately. Or cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.