Eggs Baked in Toast
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 8 slices bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (1 1/2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter or your fingers, make a hole in the center of 4 slices of bread. Butter one side of the remaining 4 slices.
- Place the 4 buttered slices, buttered side down, on a baking sheet. Top with the slices with holes in the center. Break 1 egg into each hole, keeping the yolk intact. Cover with tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until cheese has melted, and the egg is set but slightly runny, about 15 minutes. Be sure to check frequently, as the eggs set quickly.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.