Martha developed this recipe when she discovered that lemon juice reacts with red-skinned apples and turns them pink. Use the reddest apples you can find and adjusts the amount of sugar according to the sweetness of the apples.
Martha Stewart Living Television
Yield Makes approximately 4 cups
- 8 McIntosh apples, or other tart, red-skinned apples
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Quarter the apples, do not peel, and remove the seeds and cores. Place apples in a bowl, add the lemon juice, and toss thoroughly to coat.
- Place the apples, sugar, and 1 cup water in a heavy saucepan. Cover pot, and let simmer over low heat, about 30 minutes, or until the apples break down to a saucelike consistency.
- Remove pot from heat, uncover, and allow apples to cool slightly. Using a rubber scraper, gently push apples through a food mill or wire sieve. Discard the skins. Refrigerate until ready for use.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.