Caramelized Lemon Tart
Lemon tarts are seasonless, making this the ultimate year-round dessert.
Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1992
- Yield Makes one 12-inch tart
- 2 cups sugar, plus more for caramelizing top
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
- 12 large egg yolks
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 twelve-inch <u>Pate Sucree</u>, tart shell, baked and cooled
- Place sugar and lemon in a large stainless-steel bowl. Push yolks through a sieve into bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Set bowl over a pot of simmering water, and stir slowly until mixture thickens, 15 to 20 minutes. Cook 5 minutes more.
- Remove bowl from heat, and stir in zest. Stir in butter piece by piece until completely melted. Pour into cooled tart shell. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler. Remove outer ring from tart pan, and place pan on a large cookie sheet. Place outer ring upside down on top to protect pastry from burning.
- Sift a thin layer of sugar evenly over top, and place under broiler. Watch carefully; remove tart when top is evenly browned.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.