Bourbon Currant Cookies
Everyone wins with this deck of cookies. Spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs are cut from the currant-studded dough.
Holiday Cookies 2005, Special Issue Holiday 2005
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until smooth. Add 1 egg, the flour, bourbon, and currants; mix until well combined.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes (such as 2-inch card shapes). Whisk together remaining egg and the cream in a small bowl, and brush cookies with egg wash. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until pale golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.