The most beautiful ruby-red grapefruit is available in December; use it to make this jewel-like salad. In other seasons the grapefruit will be smaller and you will need more.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1999/2000
- 4 ruby-red or pink grapefruit, peel and pith removed
- 5 navel or blood oranges, peel and pith removed
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large heads radicchio, leaves separated
- 2 heads Belgian endive, leaves separated
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- Working over a bowl to catch the juices, use a paring knife to slice between the sections and membranes of each grapefruit; remove the segments whole. Place each segment in bowl as completed. Repeat process with oranges in same bowl. Transfer to refrigerator. Recipe may be made up to this point 1 hour ahead.
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine vinegar, honey, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in olive oil, then canola oil, until mixture is well combined. Set vinaigrette aside.
- Just before serving, arrange radicchio and endive leaves on a large serving platter. Arrange grapefruit and orange segments in the center of the platter. Scatter red-onion slices over the top. Drizzle the reserved vinaigrette over the salad, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.