Martha Stewart Living, September
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, brown sugar, and molasses until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until smooth. Add flour mixture; beat until combined.Wrap dough in plastic, flattened into a disk. Chill until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make 1 1/2-inch balls of dough; roll each in sugar. Place them 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill 20 minutes.
- Bake cookies, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until firm around the edges and slightly soft in the center, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.