- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a medium high-sided saucepan set over medium heat. Add onion, cloves, and cinnamon; cook until onion becomes translucent and mixture is very fragrant.
- Place rice in sieve, and rinse under cold running water. Add rice to saucepan, and stir so grains are coated in butter mixture.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, raisins, salt, and pepper to saucepan. Stir in 2 cups water. Raise heat, and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until all water has been absorbed and rice has cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Omits ground cloves and ground cinnamon and replaces with a green cardamom pod.