Caramel Bourbon Vanilla Sauce
Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Without stirring, cook mixture until dark amber in color, swirling the pan carefully while cooking, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Slowly add cream, stirring with a wooden spoon. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the pan, and add the pod. Add lemon juice, butter, and bourbon. Stir to combine.
- Cover, and store, refrigerated, up to 1 week. Bring sauce to room temperature, or warm over low heat, before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.