Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 3/4 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 twenty-eight-ounce can whole tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Remove casings from sausage; crumble into 1-inch pieces. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sausage; cook, stirring often, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove the sausage from the saute pan with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Return to medium heat; add the onion. Saute the onion until it is just beginning to brown and soften, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers; continue to cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer until vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly, about 12 minutes more.
- Return sausage to pan; cook just enough to heat through. Stir in parsley; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.