Helen Nash's Chocolate Almond Cake
This Passover cake is from the book "Helen Nash's Kosher Kitchen."
Martha Stewart Living, April 1995
- 1 cup unsalted margarine, plus 1/2 tablespoon for cake pan
- 1 tablespoon potato starch, for dusting pan, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1 1/4 scant cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup strained freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cognac
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 ounces blanched almonds, finely ground
- Passover Powdered Sugar (http://www.marthastewart.com/261150/passover-powdered-sugar)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, for garnish
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan with margarine. Line the pan with parchment paper, and grease the parchment. Dust pan with 1 tablespoon potato starch; shake out excess.
- Fill a small saucepan with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and allow water to simmer. Place chocolate in a small heatproof bowl, and set over saucepan. Stir chocolate until melted, and set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream 1 cup margarine on medium speed, and add sugar gradually until the mixture is pale and bubbles appear, about 10 minutes.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Lower the speed, and beat in cooled chocolate and orange juice. With a large rubber spatula, mix in cocoa powder, cognac, 1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch, lemon zest, orange zest, vanilla, and ground almonds.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff. Fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula. Repeat with another quarter of the egg whites, then reverse the process, pouring the batter over remaining whites. Gradually fold together until egg whites are completely incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth the top. Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out slightly sticky, about 1 hour. Cool completely, and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, run a small, sharp knife around sides to loosen, and carefully remove springform ring. Transfer to a serving plate, dust with Passover powdered sugar, and garnish with sliced almonds. Note: This recipe has been adapted from Helen Nash's original to make one cake. To make two smaller cakes, prepare two 9-by-1 1/2-inch round cake pans, and divide the batter between them.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.