Chocolate Ice Cream 101
For an especially intense flavor, use the best-quality chocolate you can find, like Valrhona bittersweet chocolate.
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Bring milk to a simmer. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat at medium-high speed until very thick and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add half of the milk to egg-yolk mixture and whisk until blended. Stir into remaining milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in cream. Pass mixture through a strainer into a medium mixing bowl set in an ice bath. Whisk in melted chocolate and let chill, then freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Store in a plastic container in the freezer.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.